Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Lonely Mile ~ Allan Leverone

I find that I write best - and enjoy it most - if I write while I'm feeling the excitement of what I want to say, and I am very excited!

After having read a few soppy romance novels, The Lonely Mile by Author Allan Leverone was a very refreshing nail biter.

"The I-90 killer" - Martin Krall - is a ghost amongst sheep. He has been kidnapping young teenage girls from rest stops along the I-90 highway, raping, torturing and (initially) killing them, until he realized that it could be profitable instead. Now he uses his skills for a human trafficking operation. He counts on people brainlessly going about their own business - not looking left or right - in predictable patterns of behavior (like sheep) and takes full advantage of this, having abducted one girl after the next for near four years.

Bill Ferguson is not a sheep. He owns two moderately successful hardware stores. He stops here every now and then, ferrying inventory between stores. The coffee is good and he enjoys the few precious moments of watching the world go by, but it is time to use the facilities, hit the road and get some work done. He runs his hand over the outline of his weapon. Carrying large amounts of cash is risky. He's never run into trouble before but one can never be too careful.

On this hot, humid day in May Krall and Ferguson meets. Krall has found a suitable victim. He waits for her outside the ladies restroom, trying not to be noticed. Ferguson bumps into him by accident and politely apologizes, but also realizes immediately that something is "off". As he turns to look again, the man is approaching the girl from behind. The sheep is oblivious, but Ferguson realizes that today he would be using his gun. For the first time in the four years "The I-90 killer" gets away, but without getting what he wants: the girl.

Bill could never have guessed that by being brave for someone else's family, he would be endangering his own.

What a delightful read! The Lonely Mile is full of twists and turns that keeps you on your toes. It is unpredictable and captivating and it keeps you turning the pages right to the end. 

The main character - Bill Ferguson - is a well rounded character. He is likable and you really feel like you get to know him in the way that the author writes about his thoughts, his fears, his regrets and his love for his daughter. If he was my dad, he'd be my hero too. I particularly enjoyed reading about the relationship between father and daughter because I've never known that and have often wished I have. The way it is portrayed in the book is the way I think it should be. I'm just sad that it is not the case for more and more children today. As a Christian it made me think about how hard it is then for these broken children to relate to a loving heavenly Father, when their earthly one is so broken, abusive or absent.

My heart broke for the story of FBI Special Agent, Angela Canfield. I believe that there are usually reasons why people do what they do. Although their reasons don't make it right, it does make it very sad, and the scenario in this book - tragically - is true for way too many today.

I think that the author has captured the theme of human trafficking well. I also like how he writes that no one is untouchable - it is a reality even in the United States of America. I've recently been reading more about it because of the A-21 Campaign who deals with real human trafficking victims worldwide every day. I stand amazed how little we know about what goes on in our world. It can be hard to believe that such a horrific nightmare is someone's true life story. If you want to know more, or you are interested in making a contribution of any kind, please visit their website and find out more of how you can help to make a difference.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and rated it five stars on Amazon.com. I'm still biting my nails...   

No comments:

Post a Comment