Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Noble Vision: A Novel ~ Gen LaGreca

Let me kick off with a bang: B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T!!! (And yes, this one has been reworked into a movie script - YES!)

David Lang is a young doctor with a medical breakthrough - he has discovered a way to help the brain regenerate severed or damaged nerves, restoring the bodily function for which the damaged nerves are responsible. This means that the blind could regain sight, the lame could walk, etc. There's just one problem:  his drug is still in the experimental stage and the medical system is controlled by bureaucracy, greed and politically motivated priorities.

Nicole Hudson is a beautiful ballerina who rose from a heartbreaking childhood to Broadway stardom. She is intrigued by the Flower Phantom, a secret admirer who send her flowers after each performance with an anonymous letter - inspired by her dancing. Nicole understands desperation and 'The Phantom' is the most desperate man in the world. 

A dreadful accident causes the paths of a a brilliant doctor and a beautiful ballerina to cross - an unusual hero, a tender love story, a revolutionary medical breakthrough and a bitter conflict with the law - all in pursuit of a noble vision.

In case you haven't realized this yet: I loved this book! It stirred on some topics close to my heart: following your heart, betrayal, passion, excellence, vision (literally and metaphorically), loyalty, selfishness and greed. 

If David was a real man even I would have wanted to marry him. His character is that of a passionate man with vision and desire to use his gifts and abilities to make a difference. Aaaw, a man after my heart. He is courageous and fearlessly pursue what he believes is the right thing. He wants to save and change lives whereas some are more concerned with lining their own pockets at the expense of others. I was enraged to think that someone who practices medicine couldn't care less who lives or dies; they were more concerned with themselves. I thought to myself if someone feels that way they should rather not be in medicine. I felt scared to think what kind of doctors we are dealing with nowadays. What are the motives of those who spent years of their lives studying medicine and to whom we entrust our very lives and that of our loved ones at times. Imagine if we had to start fearing doctors because we can't trust them in our moment of desperate need.

I felt a rage towards those who merely shrugged their shoulders at misdiagnosis and the excuses that people come up when they're confronted with their actions. I'm convinced that in a few ways there's more truth to this story than what some would like to admit. 

I felt pity for those who were willing to sell their souls to the devil because they were too afraid to stand out in the crowd, or lose the approval of those in positions of power.

I saw the same strength and determination in David's patient - the beautiful, dainty ballerina, Nicole. For how hard she's had to fight to be who she is and do what she does - she is a true inspiration!She made me feel hope as much as I shared in her feelings of hopelessness and defeat. My heart went out to her as she struggles with her injuries, it reminding her of how she had to struggle as a child. She had fought hard and finally she triumphed only to be trapped in another place of helplessness, but wow! she still has time to encourage another in the midst of her own despair. She sounds like a rather remarkable twenty three year old. I could well identify with her independence and struggle to trust. It was really nice to watch her grow through her trial to new triumph.

It left me questioning myself in some ways: what are my dreams and passions? Do I have the courage to pursue it? How much do I care about acceptance vs. compromise? When does 'right' become wrong? Do I want to merely exist or truly live? If I was in David's shoes, how might I have handled the opposition?  

What I very much enjoyed was watching the impact that the courageous had on the cowardice. How many have wishbone instead of backbone? Sometimes they need just one who will have the guts to lead the way so that they too may take a step toward "right". And then, of course, you'll always have jealousy/envy.

Two of my personal favorite quotes from this book: 

"They don't like intensity. Impassioned people are difficult to control" and 
"What's the old saying, that a life lived in fear is a life not lived at all?"

I think this is not a typical "chick" book; both men and woman can enjoy it if you have any kind of interest in medical dramas. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it had me reading late into the night. This is the author's first novel and it is a remarkable one. She truly has a gift. I definitely give it 5 stars. Get your copy now!

No comments:

Post a Comment